Prep Time: ? minutes | Cook Time: 60 minutes | Total Time: ? minutes | Yield: 1 pie.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds apples, peeled and cored, then cut into wedges (5 large honeycrisps will do it)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 recipe all-purpose pie dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten.
- 1. Melt butter in a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat and add apples to the pan.
- Stir to coat fruit with butter and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the spices, salt and 2/3 cup sugar, and sprinkle this over the pan, stirring to combine.
- Lower heat and cook until apples have started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour and cornstarch over the apples and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add cider vinegar, stir and scrape fruit mixture into a bowl and allow to cool completely. (The fruit mixture will cool faster if spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.)
- Place a large baking sheet on the middle rack of oven and preheat to 425.
- Remove one disc of dough from the refrigerator and, using a pin, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches in diameter.
- Fit this crust into a 9-inch pie plate, trimming it to leave a 1/2-inch overhang.
- Place this plate, with the dough, in the freezer.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 10 or 11 inches in diameter.
- Remove pie crust from freezer and put the cooled pie filling into it.
- Cover with remaining dough.
- Press the edges together, trim the excess, then crimp the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Using a sharp knife, cut three or four steam vents in the top of the crust.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Place pie in oven and bake on hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375.
- Continue to cook until the interior is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes more.
- Remove and allow to cool on a windowsill or kitchen rack, about two hours.
Recipe Origin: From a recipe in the NYT.