Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 40 | Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 1/2 cups TVP granules, rehydrated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, optional
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2- 19 oz cans kidney beans
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Rehydrate TVP if needed.
- Spray or oil a large pot.
- Chop onion, peppers, and garlic and add to the pot.
- Chop remaining veggies, add to pot and brown lightly.
- Add beans, tomatoes and spices. Stir and simmer at least 15 minutes.
- Taste. Adjust spices. Simmer additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread, toast or on rice.
Recipe Origin: No idea. I’ve made it many times and it is great. It tastes very meaty even though there is no meat in it.