Prep Time: ? minutes | Cook Time: ? minutes | Total Time: ? minutes | Yield: 4 appetizer servings
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 8 (1/2 inch thick) slices all-green tomatoes (about 2 medium green tomatoes)
- 6 TBSP vegetable oil
- 24 medium shrimp (about 1/2 lb peeled, cooked and chilled)
- 1 cup Remoulade Sauce, chilled
- Garnish; mixed greens
- Whisk together egg and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned cornmeal.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Place tomato slices in pan in a single layer, and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes more. Tomatoes hould be cooked through but not mushy. Place 2 tomato slices on each of 4 serving plates and top each slice with 3 shrimp. Spoon 1 1/2 TBSP Remoulade Sauce over each slice and garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Notes: Can also use crabmeat instead of shrimp.
Recipe Origin: Tore out of a local magazine.