Prep Time: ? minutes | Cook Time: ? minutes | Total Time: ? minutes | Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 1 to 1/2 lbs peeled, deveined shrimp (21 to 30 per lb, tails on)
- 20 chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 thinly sliced shallot
- 1/3 cup light rum
- 3 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- For Marinade: In a medium bowl, combine mint leaves, sugar and shallot. Pound with a wooden spoon to crush. Whisk in rum, ime juice, oil, lime zest and salt. Whisk until salt dissolves.
- For shrimp: Preheat grill on high heat.
- Put shrimp in 1 gallon resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal and marinate at room temp. for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove shrimp, reserving marinade.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers. Place on grill and baste with marinade. Close lid.
- Cook until shrimp are just beginning to brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over, baste again, and close lid. Cook 1-2 minutes until browned but still moist in center (cut to check).
- Transfer shrimp to a platter, drizzle with lime juice and garnish with mint sprigs.
Recipe Origin: Tore out of a local magazine.