Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 8 hours 30 minutes | Yield: Serves 12
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large can whole green chili peppers
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 jar chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, or whatever kind of beans you have on hand
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Put chipotle chilis and whole green chilis in food processor and dice. Set aside.
- Put first 13 ingredients in crock pot with 1 tablespoon of the sugar, mix well, add pinto beans.
- Turn crock pot on low.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet sauté garlic, onions and green pepper for 4-5 minutes.
- Add to crock pot.
- Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in skillet.
- Add more oil, if necessary
- Add to slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook 8 hours.
- Taste check; for acidity if necessary add more sugar, salt.
Notes: This is spicy and extremely good. Could be frozen, but I always invite people over and they eat it all. Makes a full slow cooker pot.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from a Food.com recipe.