Prep Time: ? minutes | Cook Time: ? minutes | Total Time: ? minutes | Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 pounds apples
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Cooking InstructionsWash, peel, and core the apples. Cut each apple into quarters; cut each quarter in half. Let your child put the apples in a pot.
- Into the same pot, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean with the tip of a knife, then toss the pod in too (or add the vanilla extract). Stir in the other ingredients and cover. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod. If you prefer a smoother sauce, mash the apples lightly with a potato masher.
Recipe Origin: Wondertime. Great magazine that is no longer.