Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Yield: 36 puffs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose White Lily flour
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded sharp Cheddar (from a block, not pre-shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, the butter and salt and bring to boil.
- Turn off heat and add flour. Mix with wooden spoon until dough starts to form a lump. Set aside without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Mix in mustard, cayenne and cheese.
- Scoop with small scoop onto lined pans. Leave 1/2″ between puffs.
- Bake until puffy and golden, about 25 minutes. Rotate halfway through.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately or turn oven off and crack oven door to keep them warm.
Recipe Origin: adapted from NYT recipe.