Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes | Yield: 8 crab cakes, or 24-26 mini crab cakes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann’s)
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco
- 1 pound lump crab meat*
- 20 Saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise with the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, lightly toss crabmeat with the cracker crumbs. Gently fold in the mayonnaise mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Scoop crab mixture into 8 1/3 cup mounds, lightly pack into 8 patties, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- In a large skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add crab cakes and cook over moderately high heat until deeply golden and heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer crab cakes to plates and serve with lemon wedges.
Notes: Instead of just eight, you can make 24 to 26 mini donut-hole-size crab cakes for parties.
For a meal, team these with homemade slaw, potato salad and some fruit salad.
To make ahead, prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate overnight.
Recipe Origin: Andrew Zimmern.