Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 1 hr 15 minutes
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 6 portions top sirloin (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups low-fat, reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz frozen green beans
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
- 10 oz frozen green peas
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add beef cubes and cook for about 8 minutes; stirring occasionally until browned on all sides.
- Stir in beef broth, water, onion, celery, carrot, oregano, black pepper, garlic, barley and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in green beans, tomatoes and peas. Simmer, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, about 15 more minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- 1 portion is 2 cups cooked.
Recipe Origin: BFL