Servings: 12 | Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 12 foil muffin liners
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute
- 9 TBSP vanilla protein powder (soy or whey)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 4 large egg whites, beaten
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with foil liners. Lightly coat the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together wheat flour, oat flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Then add the wheat germ, brown sugar substitute, protein powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine applesauce, skim milk and egg whites. Pour applesauce mixture into flour mixture. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy). Then, gently fold in the carrots until evenly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until each is almost full. Bake until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out “clean” about 18 minutes.
- Serve one carrot cake muffin.
Recipe Origin: BFL