Servings: 6-8 | Prep Time: ? minutes | Cooking Time: 4 hours
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (can use boneless)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 5 large pitted dates, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano (or 1-2 teaspoons dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 zucchini cut into 1/2″ rounds
- 6 whole roma tomatoes
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except zucchini and roma tomatoes in a gallon Zip top plastic bag or large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or more until ready to cook. (You can do this a day ahead if you like).
- Spray slow cooker with canola or olive oil. Place the entire contents of the bag into the slow cooker. Arrange the chicken with a spoon or spatula so it is in an even layer. Place the Roma tomatoes evenly around. Place the lid on top.
- Cook 3 hours on high. Add zucchini and cook for 1 more hour on high.
- Sauce should be thickened and chicken should be falling off bone. Serve with french bread, couscous, rice or pasta.
Recipe Origin: My iteration for slow cooker adapted from Design Mom, who adapted it from Big Girls/Small Kitchen.