Prep Time: 20 minutes |Total Time: 35 minutes | Yield: Serves: 6
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 lb Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups onions, diced (can use frozen)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (can use jarred)
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Boil salted water in large pot. Add penne pasta and cook until al dente, 11-13 minutes. Drain
- While pasta is cooking, heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Saute sausage, while breaking it up, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 3 minutes. Add pepper, Italian seasoning and tomatoes to the skillet. Simmer, stirring every now and then, about 8 minutes.
- Combine sausage mixture with pasta, spinach, mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Pour into 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Recipe Origin: Back of a pasta box!