Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 1/2 – 8/12 hours | Yield: Serves: 4-6
- 1 1/2 lbs red new potatoes (about 18), halved if large
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I use my own, not store-bought, and I put it frozen into the slow cooker)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or whatever kind of white wine you have!)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 bratwurst links
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Toasted dark bread (like pumpernickel)
- Whole-grain mustard or German Senf for serving
- In a slow cooker, mix together potatoes, kraut, onion, frozen broth (do not need to thaw), wine, caraway seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Nestle the bratwursts in the vegetables.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. (*Note: I like it on high for 4.5 hours)
- Sprinkle everything with parsley and serve with toast, butter and mustard.
Notes: I’m pretty sure all the Germans I know would be appalled by this, but that’s ok with me.
Recipe Origin: Real Simple, modified.