Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 1/2 – 8/12 hours | Yield: Serves: 4-6
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced, or cut up more if you are hiding them from your kids…
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I like White Lily)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (don’t skip this)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed first
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Thaw your puff pastry sheet before you do anything else.
- In a slow cooker, mix together mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaves, and 1/2 cup water.
- Place chicken on top. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Cover and cook until chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. (*Note: I like it on high for 4.5 hours)
- 30 minutes before you serve it, heat oven to 425F. Using a large circle cutter or a glass, cut out 4 circles (or more if you want to use the other pastry puff sheet too). Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8-10 minutes. Don’t let the little leftover bits go to waste. Let your kids cut them into whatever shapes they want and bake those too. The smallest bits puff up the most!
- 20 minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream and 1/2 tsp salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until heated through, about 15 minutes more. To serve, place chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds.
Notes: Family loved this. Leftovers were excellent. I might double this recipe next time in order to have more leftovers!
Recipe Origin: Real Simple, modified with more spices and changed timing around a little.