Prep Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Serves: 6
- 8 ox penne
- 1 lb ground mild italian sausage
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 – 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I like the fire-roasted kind)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Boil salted water. Cook penne and cook 11 minutes. Drain.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Saute while breaking it up with the back of a spoon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes. Add pepper, Italian seasoning and tomatoes to the skillet. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Combine sausage mixture with pasta, spinach, mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Pour into 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Recipe Origin: Back of the pasta box recipe. I was surprised at how good it is.