Prep Time: ? minutes | Total Time: ? minutes | Serves: 4-6
- 1 lb bucatini pasta
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 6 oz. pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 tsp minced garlic in jar
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 – 14oz can crushed tomatoes (I like the fire roasted kind)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, or Parm if you don’t have Pecorino
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add pancetta/bacon and cook, stirring until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside on paper towel.
- Add onion to skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and cooked pancetta/bacon.
- Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta. Drain and combine with sauce.
Recipe Origin: Back of the pasta box recipe. I was surprised at how good it is.