Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 4 minutes each | Yield: 16 Waffles
- Canola oil spray for waffle iron
- 8 TBSP (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 4 cups White Lily all-purpose flour or King Arthur whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 TBSP sugar
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups buttermilk (see Note)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt 1 stick of butter and let cool while you assemble everything else.
- Spray waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat it.
- Separate eggs. Keep egg whites in a separate bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, sugar and baking soda.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, mix together buttermilk, egg yolks, vanilla and melted butter.
- In your stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the batter.
- Spread 3/4 cup batter onto the hot waffle iron and bake until done, usually 4 minutes.
- Put waffles on wire cooling racks so they don’t get soggy.
- Serve immediately or keep warm for a few minutes in a low oven.
Notes: These freeze well. Click HERE for single batch recipe that makes 8 waffles.
Recipe Origin: This is our adaptation of a Mark Bittman recipe, I think. Not sure. I have a Word printout of these that we’ve made dozens of times. This is our go-to waffle recipe.