Notes: I think this is the recipe I made for our oldest daughter’s 1st birthday cake.
Servings: 8-10 | Prep Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (White Lily)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- zest of 1 orange (1 TBSP)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (approx. 6 carrots)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread chopped pecans on a baking sheet, and toast for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Line 2 greased 9 inch cake pans with wax paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Cream together butter and sugar in your stand mixer on medium speed.
- Add eggs 1 at a time. Add milk and half of flour mixture. Blend well. Add remaining flour mixture gradually.
- Stir in orange zest and juice, vanilla, grated carrot and toasted nuts. Divide batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let layers cool in pans for 10 minutes. Take out of pans and put on cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe