Notes: Toughest part of this is browning the chicken. After that it’s easy.
Servings: 6-8 | Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (I used thighs and drumsticks). Skinned, but the drumsticks I used had a little skin on them and I left them that way.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained (I use Muir Glen because they are BPA free)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP fresh basil, cut in ribbons
- 2 TBSP fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Put flour in a large Ziploc bag. Add 3-4 chicken pieces at a time, shaking. In an extra-large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in hot oil about 12 minutes or until browned, turning a few times. Transfer chicken to 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms to skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Pour in slow cooker.
- Add drained tomatoes, pepper, onion, carrots, wine, salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3- 1/2 hours. Right before serving, stir in basil, parsley and thyme.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from this recipe.