Notes: So easy and delicious. I made this for the kids but all the adults go crazy for it too. I reduced the heavy cream down to 3/4 cup from 1 cup. Delicious with toasted bread on the side.
Servings: 8-10 | Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1 small/ medium onion, diced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 5 TBSP Whole Wheat flour (I like King Arthur)
- 5 cups chicken stock (I make my own and freeze it)
- 1 – 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes with their juice.
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp ground thyme or regular thyme leaves
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add diced onion and cook for 5-6 minutes or until it begins to get soft.
- Add the bacon and the garlic and stir for another minute or two.
- Add the flour and stir quickly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in broth (I put mine in frozen, in small chunks) and tomatoes, and bring to a boil while whisking.
- Throw in bay leaves, parsley and thyme and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove herbs and puree soup with an immersion blender.
- Stir in heavy cream and salt and pepper.