Prep Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins | Yield: Serves 8
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
- 2- 19 oz cans kidney beans
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- Stir together oil and flour in deep pot or Dutch oven until smooth. Cook over high heat 10 minutes, or until roux turns a dark caramel color. Stir constantly.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery, and cook 5 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and 4 cups water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook 60-80 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe Origin: I think I tore this out of a vegetarian magazine. We’ve made it several times and like it.