Servings: 4-6 | Prep Time: 45 minutes cook time, 12-14 hours marinating time
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup plus 2 TBSP olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- big pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- MARINADE: Combine lemon juice, 1 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in large bowl. Whisk to combine and pour into gallon Ziploc bag. Add chicken and toss. Zip up Ziplock and place inside a bowl in your fridge. I like to marinate it 18-24 hours.
- COOK: Preheat oven to 425F. Pour 2 TBSP olive oil on a rimmed sheet pan. Add onions to chicken and mix well. Remove chicken and onion from marinade and place on pan, spreading evenly.
- Roast until brown and crisp at edges, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to rest for 2 minutes. Slice into strips. Place a clean rimmed sheet pan on top of oven, set burners to high and add 1 TBSP olive oil. Add strips and saute until crispy.
- Scatter parsley on top. Serve with pita bread, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, olives, feta, rice, white sauce, hot sauce or anything else you want.
- White sauce recipe: mix mayonnaise, plain yogurt, minced garlic and lemon juice until smooth.
Recipe Origin: New York Times with our modifications