Servings: 6-8 | Prep Time: ? minutes | Cooking Time: 4 hours
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (can use boneless)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped, pitted kalamata olives
- 5 large pitted dates, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano (or 1-2 teaspoons dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 zucchini cut into 1/2″ rounds
- 6 whole roma tomatoes
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except zucchini and roma tomatoes in a gallon Zip top plastic bag or large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or more until ready to cook. (You can do this a day ahead if you like).
- Spray slow cooker with canola or olive oil. Place the entire contents of the bag into the slow cooker. Arrange the chicken with a spoon or spatula so it is in an even layer. Place the Roma tomatoes evenly around. Place the lid on top.
- Cook 3 hours on high. Add zucchini and cook for 1 more hour on high.
- Sauce should be thickened and chicken should be falling off bone. Serve with french bread, couscous, rice or pasta.
Recipe Origin: My iteration for slow cooker adapted from Design Mom, who adapted it from Big Girls/Small Kitchen.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 hours | Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes | Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, sliced
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast
- ½ to 1 cup chicken broth, depending on how juicy you want the fajitas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- Squirt of lime juice
- Flour Tortillas
- Sour cream, Salsa, Cheeese
- Spray crockpot with Pam. Put sliced onion and peppers in the bottom. If using frozen chicken stock, put this in now. If not, pour it over before step 3.
- Lay chicken on top of veggies.
- Sprinkle everything with cumin, salt, and chili powder.
- Pour lime juice over the top.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours. I like to cook it on High for 4 hrs.
- When meat is done, shred with two forks and stir back into juices.
- Serve meat mixture with slotted spoon on tortillas with your choice of fixings.
Notes: This is so good it is UNBELIEVABLE. When my husband ate it he said he was going to start crying. I used homemade chicken broth.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from a recipe on a blog called Stacy Makes Cents.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 1/2 hours | Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes | Yield: Serves 4-6
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bag carrots
- 1 onion
- Breakfast Klub seasoning
- Measure 8 tsp Breakfast Klub spice mix into a small bowl.
- Cut onion into 4 or 5 chunks and put it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Peel and cut entire bag of carrots into 2 or 3 pieces for each carrot, and put in bottom of slow cooker.
- Remove any stuff from inside of chicken. If there is a lot of fat at the opening of the cavity, trim it off.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry.
- Rub Breakfast Klub spice mixture all over. Rub a few carrots with your hands to get the spice mixture off of them. Toss those back into slow cooker.
- Put prepared chicken on top of the onions and carrots in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. Do not add any liquid.
- Cook for 4 1/2 hours on high. Chicken will be falling off the bone.
I got the original concept of Crockpot Chicken from here, and modified it to add vegetables and use the awesome Breakfast Klub seasoning I brought home from my recent trip to Houston.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 4 – 6 hours 30 minutes | Yield: Serves 12
- 1 – 3 pound beef brisket coarse salt and pepper
- 1 – 4 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces root beer, all-natural is better
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rub brisket with salt and pepper. Sear in pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- In a slow cooker, mix together tomato sauce and paste, onion, garlic, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar. Transfer brisket to the sauce in the slow cooker. Pour over root beer. Cover with lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Slice and serve with mashed potatoes.
Notes: I want to try it with vegetables. Maybe carrots?
Recipe Origin: Adapted from a babble.com recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes | Yield: Serves 12
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 3/4 cups lentils
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- Combine onions, carrots, garlic, oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add broth, water, cauliflower, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 4 to 5 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from an EatingWell recipe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 8 hours 30 minutes | Yield: Serves 12
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large can whole green chili peppers
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 jar chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, or whatever kind of beans you have on hand
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Put chipotle chilis and whole green chilis in food processor and dice. Set aside.
- Put first 13 ingredients in crock pot with 1 tablespoon of the sugar, mix well, add pinto beans.
- Turn crock pot on low.
- Heat some olive oil in a large skillet sauté garlic, onions and green pepper for 4-5 minutes.
- Add to crock pot.
- Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in skillet.
- Add more oil, if necessary
- Add to slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook 8 hours.
- Taste check; for acidity if necessary add more sugar, salt.
Notes: This is spicy and extremely good. Could be frozen, but I always invite people over and they eat it all. Makes a full slow cooker pot.
Recipe Origin: Adapted from a Food.com recipe.